The amount of waste produced Phuket increases exponentially every year. According to Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana the average monthly amount of waste produced from October 2017 through September 2018 was about 925 tons so it’s a serious problem. Waste is not only an environmental problem, but also an economic headache. How can we change the way we produce and consume so as to lessen the island’s waste problem? Let’s have a look at some ideas from four hotels in Phuket.
For waste management within the organization, the hotel encourages employees to reduce the amount of waste under the ‘3Rs’ concept.
Reduce: Reduce the amount of waste that may occur.
Reuse: Use again or more than once.
Recycle: Recycle waste by separating and collecting waste that can be recycled
In addition, Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket is aware of the importance of waste management and environmental systems within the organization and has been certified with international standard certification about the environmental management in the organization ISO14001: 2015 since November 2017 including having been selected as one of the pilot hotels and establishments Navigation in Phuket Under the project Increase energy efficiency for energy conservation Phuket province (DSM Bidding), in which the hotel was recognized and has received support money amounting to 151,200 baht from the Phuket Provincial Energy Office, office of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Energy to be used in energy management in the organization
Examples of waste management in hotels under the 3Rs concept;
- Reducing usage and increasing the quality of printers in the organization
- Printing in black and white instead of colour
- Reducing the amount of food left from both external and internal customers in the restaurant by launching a campaign of food waste reduction.
- Food preparation based on the actual number of staying guests
- Promoting the use of towels inside guest rooms
- Encouraging staff to turn off the lights and turn off the computer screens when not in use
- Using LED light bulbs to reduce energy consumption
- Reducing single-use plastics in the organization such as plastic straws and plastic bottles
- Using both sides of paper
- Decorating Christmas trees with used paper
- Donating used batteries to schools
- Using only glass water bottles in guest rooms and restaurants
- Implementing technology to help reduce usage of paper such as in emails, live data systems, E-Learning
- Donating of unused employees uniforms to charitable agencies
- Reusing the remaining tissue on rolls that are still in good condition with the back of house (staff area)
- Sorting wastes that can be recycled from other types of waste for reuse and recycle such as paper, glass, plastic and hazardous waste
With small initiatives like these we can help save energy and make resources last longer while preserving the quality of our environment
- Environmental Solutions: Wandi Pattrawee – Director of Marketing Communications, Angsana Laguna Phuket and Angsana Villas Resort Phuket
- Environmental Solutions: Fhunfhon Yangkham – Director of Human Resources, Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
- Environmental Solutions: Bhatara Amornrattanakij – Director of Marketing Communications, JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa