The amount of waste produced Phuket increases exponentially every year. According to Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana the average monthly amount of waste produced from October 2017 through September 2018 was about 925 tons so it’s a serious problem. Waste is not only an environmental problem, but also an economic headache. How can we change the way we produce and consume so as to lessen the island’s waste problem? Let’s have a look at some ideas from four hotels in Phuket.
Marriott has announced plans to completely phase out disposable plastic straws and plastic utensils from all locations around the world by July 2019. This plastic straw phase-out supports the ‘We’ pillar to show how we care about the environment and ‘Serve the World’ is one of Marriott’s core values.
The company’s commitment to reducing its environmental impact as part of its sustainability and social impact platform is called ‘Serve 360 – Skip the Straw’.
Renaissance Phuket has implemented many projects to reduce plastic in all areas around the resort.
- Skip the Straw. No plastic straws in the hotel and served only by request in the restaurant with paper straws
- Replace plastic bottles in guest rooms and meeting rooms by glass bottles filled with water from the air, this project is reduces plastic bottles by 260,000 items per year
- Paper box and bags for takeaway food/drink from the restaurant – NO plastic bags and cups
- Use LED light bulbs in all area
- ‘No plastic day’ project to encourage our associates to use linen bags and reusable glass, bottles and straws
- No plastic spoons, cups and plates in all activities
Our core value – ‘Serve the World’ to support the communities where we live and work. One of the areas that Marriott International focuses on is the environment. We are committed to investing in the communities where we do business through our ‘Spirit to SERVE Our Communities®’ social responsibility and community engagement initiatives.
- Environmental Solutions: Bhatara Amornrattanakij – Director of Marketing Communications, JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
- Environmental Solutions: Orana Thongprasit – Manager-Total Quality Management, Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket
- Environmental Solutions: Wandi Pattrawee – Director of Marketing Communications, Angsana Laguna Phuket and Angsana Villas Resort Phuket