The amount of waste produced Phuket increases exponentially every year. According to Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana the average monthly amount of waste produced from October 2017 through September 2018 was about 925 tons so it’s a serious problem. Waste is not only an environmental problem, but also an economic headache. How can we change the way we produce and consume so as to lessen the island’s waste problem? Let’s have a look at some ideas from four hotels in Phuket.
We have a mission initiated at the end of 2018, to have in place programs to eliminate single-use plastics such as straws, bottles and bags and by 2020, to replace disposable plastic items with alternatives. Angsana Laguna Phuket and Angsana Villas Resort Phuket have a waste management project in the concept of ‘Five R’s’ as below:
– Focus on specific items: straws, bottles and bags
– Replace and find alternatives and reduce consumption
– Refuse single use plastics
– Refuse packaging
– Give opportunities for others to refuse
– Offer reusable alternatives
– Donate products not used
– Creativity in how to reuse plastics in the hotel
– Look for local opportunities
– Understand what types of plastic can, and cannot, be recycled
– Source items that can be recycled
– Cleaning communities
– Collaborate with others
Ban straws and give guests options while explaining why. Not only in the hotel restaurants but in staff canteens too.
In meetings use jugs and glasses only. We use refillable glass bottles and water fountains for associates. In order to reduce plastic and paper glasses the hotel gives reusable water glasses as a New Year’s gift.
We are one of the leading MICE hotels in Phuket. Most people think that chair covers are important for the events but if the chair already has an attractive design it’s not necessary to use a cover. We have invested in buying new chairs as an alternative choice for customers. Not using chair covers is better for the environment.
- Environmental Solutions: Fhunfhon Yangkham – Director of Human Resources, Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
- Environmental Solutions: Bhatara Amornrattanakij – Director of Marketing Communications, JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
- Environmental Solutions: Orana Thongprasit – Manager-Total Quality Management, Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket